Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Authentic Faith

"Let God make you who you are: When you are expending energy imitating someone, you can forget to be like Christ. God honors authentic faith. Be who you are. Be the person God called you to be, without apology. But let me warn you: Some people will really like you and others really won't. Never forget that Jesus had the same experience. So don't apologize for who you are. Long to be recognized by Christ. Long to be authentic with Christ. Imitate, assimilate, and process the power of God in your own life so that the genuine person God has created will emerge." Igniting Passion In Your Church. Steve Ayers

How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us. What else will distinguish me or your people from all the other people on the face of the earth? Exodus 33:16

Authentic faith...being the person God created me to be. There are days that I'm not sure who that is, and others that I am comfortable with who I am. And yet, I am always striving to be better. How do you tell the difference between a healthy desire to change and an unhealthy push to be different so people will accept you? I guess it probably looks the same on the outside, but the motive is different. Is my motive to look better, be more appreciated, have greater stature in the church, or is my motive to become more Christlike - to bring glory to God through whatever I do? God, what will distinguish me from all the others? I want it to be your presence in my life. I want others to see you working through me. Help me to become the person you want me to be...a person who reflects the glory of God.

No comments: