Sunday, September 9, 2007

Sunday's Quote of the Day

I have been thinking a lot about changes lately. My husband retired on August 1st, we are planning to build a house and move out of the community we have lived in for the last 32 years, and last Friday I moved into a new office. (Which should explain why I haven't posted much this week!!)

I have been going through the home that we built 21 years ago and thinking about what we can get rid of. I don't know about you, but I have held onto a lot of things that I really don't want to pack and move! It has been a trip down memory lane seeing the boxes of Barbie dolls, Lincoln Logs, Lego's and G.I. Joe's that our children left behind. I was saving them for my grandchildren...and some things I will probably still hang on to...but some will go the way of the yard sale or will be donated to Amvets.

I am trying to remember that memories are not in the things we own, but in the relationships we cherish. I will never let them go, but the "stuff" that fills my closets can go!

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." Alan Cohen


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been cleaning out both my place and my parents' house for the last couple weeks, and I have had a very tough time letting go. But when you finally get over it and just throw out/donate the stuff you don't need, it feels amazing.

Great quote, also.