Saturday, February 16, 2008

Stressless Saturday

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.” Leonardo DaVinci
If we were completely honest we would have to admit that we know a lot about how to manage stress. Get enough sleep, limit caffeine, exercise, find a balance between work and leisure, eat a healthy diet, etc.
Unfortunately knowing it doesn't always equate to doing it. About 4 years ago I lost about 40 pounds. Great accomplishment, but again, if I were honest, I knew for at least 10 years that I needed to lose 40 pounds. The knowledge in itself didn't help. I have been wondering lately about what it takes to move knowledge into action. I have many clients who are stuck in unhealthy lifestyles, unhealthy relationships, and unhealthy workplaces. Why do they find it so difficult to change?
Stress management is about doing...not just knowing. Practicing meditation until it becomes second nature. Exercising until we are fit.
Enough guilt...let's get up and do something!

No comments: