Thursday, June 14, 2007

Servant of the Lord

1 After the death of Moses the Lord’s servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant. He said, 2 “Now that my servant Moses is dead, you must lead my people across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: ‘Everywhere you go, you will be on land I have given you— 4 from the Negev Desert in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River on the east to the Mediterranean Sea on the west, and all the land of the Hittites.’ 5 No one will be able to stand their ground against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you. 6 “Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give their ancestors. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them, and you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. 9 I command you—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:1-9 NLT

"Joshua's new assignment was a natural outflow of what God had already been doing in his life. God did not begin working in Joshua's life once he became a leader. Rather, Joshua became the leader because God had already been working in his life. Your relationship with God is far more important than any position. Those who hold a position of spiritual leadership without experiencing the active working of the Holy Spirit are courting humiliating failure." Called to Be a Leader - Blackaby

At the beginning of Joshua, Moses is described as “the servant of the Lord,” and Joshua as his “assistant”. At its end, Joshua was granted the same title as his mentor: “the servant of the Lord”. Sometimes we think that being an "assistant" is beneath us, but in reality it could be God's training ground for the future. I always tell my clients that there is no waste in God's economy. He uses all of our experiences, good and bad, for our good...if we let Him. So, do you find yourself in a situation where you feel that you are being taken advantage of...is someone leading you through the desert for years on end? It could be that God is preparing you for something great. God has promised to go with us...so don't be afraid of what comes next.

Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." NIV

No comments: