Wednesday, June 27, 2007

God-confidence

Joshua 1:7-9 "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Three times in this section God repeats His command to be strong and courageous. Joshua could do this by leaning on God the same way Moses had done.

  • Joshua could be confident because God is competent
  • Joshua could be dependent because God is dependable
  • Joshua could trust because God is trustworthy
God never forces us to live a victorious Christian life. He teaches and promises and provides principles. But if we fail to cross the river and possess the land, we will remain in a spiritual desert. God is not looking for people with self-confidence, but people with God-confidence. Holman Commentary

God, help me to depend on you daily. It is easy to fall into the trap of self-confidence. Help me remember that every gift and talent I have came from you. And help me remember that if you call me you will equip me with what I need to do the job you have called me to. My prayer continues to be: God, move me out of the way so you can work through me.

No comments: