Tuesday, July 3, 2007

You Are NOT an Accident

I remember talking to a teenage client whose life was a complete mess. She told me that she overheard her parents talking about how they never wanted children, and how much she had "messed up" their lives. I couldn't imagine living in a family where I wasn't wanted. My heart breaks for kids who grow up in extremely dysfunctional families. It seems that they don't have a chance of a "normal" life if God doesn't intervene. Obviously, this is not the way God intended for family to be. This teenager needed to know that she was loved by at least one parent...her Heavenly Father. Her parents may not have wanted her, but God knows and loves her, and has a plan for her future...and for ours.

"I am your Creator. You were in my care
even before you were born." Isaiah 44:2a


Your parents may not have planned you. But God did. Long before you were conceived by your parents, you were conceived in the mind of God. He thought of you first. It was not fate, nor chance, nor luck, nor coincidence that you are breathing at this very moment. The Bible says,”The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me.” Psalm 138:8a

You know me inside and out, you know every bone in my body; you know exactly how I was made, bit by bit, how I was sculpted from nothing into something.” Psalm 139:15

“You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book!” Psalm 139:16

“From one man he made every nation,…and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.” Acts 17:26

While there are illegitimate parents there are NO illegitimate children. Many children are unplanned by their parents, but they are not unplanned by God. God’s purpose took into account human error, and even sin.

“Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love.” Ephesians 1:4a

"I have carried you since you were born; I have taken care of you from your birth. Even when you are old, I will be the same. Even when your hair has turned gray, I will take care of you. I made you and will take care of you.” Isaiah 46:3-4


Excerpts from The Purpose Driven Life. Rick Warren

No comments: