Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tuesdays In "other" Words



O soul, are you weary and troubled?


No light in the darkness you see?


There’s light for a look at the Savior,


And life more abundant and free!



Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in HIS wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, by the light of His glory and grace."~ Helen Lemmel ~


Sunday morning we went to the cemetery where my father was buried 8 1/2 years ago. I don't go to the cemetery often because I know that my father is not there. I believe that he is sitting at the feet of Jesus...with no pain...no sorrow...and a healthy body and eyesight.

But we didn't go to visit my father's grave...we went to bury my granddaughter's ashes. We never got to hold Charlotte. Our daughter went for her 19 week ultrasound on May 31st only to find that Charlotte's life ended before it began. As my son-in-law prayed at the grave site over his little girl that was taken too soon, I thought about the words to Helen Lemmel's hymn...O soul are you weary and troubled...

It is hard to understand a loss like this. When my father died, at the age of 81, he had lived a long and full life. And he was suffering...from diabetes, congestive heart failure, blindness, and finally a stroke. Although it was sad to lose him, we rejoiced in the fact that he was in heaven and not suffering any more. But Charlotte...we grieved over the fact that her death was so senseless and that we never got to know her. I can imagine what she would have been like when I look at her big sister Noelle...but we'll never know...or will we?

My faith tells me that she is in heaven with the great grandfather that she is buried with. So when my heart is troubled I think about them sitting at the feet of Jesus. And the things of this earth will go strangely dim...grief, loss, pain...all momentary troubles in light of eternity!

2 Corinthians 4:17 "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

Go to I Will Take it Lord, All You Have To Give to read other Tuesdays In “other” Words.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for the loss of your granddaughter. Praying for God's comfort and love to surround your family in your grief. May you see Jesus as He shines through your pain and may those around you see Him, too.

lori said...

'momentary troubles in the light of eternity...' that is beautifully said...Praying that each of you feel that peace, peace that only 'turning our eyes upon Jesus' give....
we may never know the 'whys,' thank GOD we have hope...
peace today and thank you for sharing from your heart...
lori

Anonymous said...

Oh may your whole family be surrounded by Jesus and his glory and grace.

I love the visual of Charlotte sitting with her great grandfather. Truly strangely dim!

Denise said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your dear granddaughter. May God give you sweet comfort.

Anonymous said...

Thanks nana...that made me cry at work. It's good to know that other people feel, and sympathize with, our pain.

Jaime Matthews said...

Thanks, mom. I've been trying to write something about this but haven't known what to say.

Jaime

Lisa said...

Thank you for sharing your story, your hurt, and your questions. May God be the source of your answers and all your comfort today, as you turn your face upon Jesus, too.

Heather said...

Diana - You are I were on the same page with our Scripture today, weren't we? You know what it means to turn your eyes heavenward in a moment of pain. Aching with you.

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

My heart aches for you and your family.

I'm covering you all in prayers.

Blessings~

Sarah said...

Your words are so true. My thoughts are very similar when I think about my Mom who went to see Jesus August of 2001. When I start to miss her, I remind myself that she too is sitting with Jesus and it is only a matter of time before I get to see her again. Then we can sit with Jesus together. Thanks for your wise words!

Bonnie W said...

Diana,

Loss is so hard, but His love and comfort are so great during those times. God bless - I'm praying for you and your family.
Bonnie